Chicago vs Beijing

In one corner: Chicago, City of Broad Shoulders.
In the other: Beijing---because a revolution is not a dinner party.

Monday, September 25, 2006

Round Four: Printing and Copying Beijing-style

Since it was nearly three weeks before I could get a library card, and about the same amount of time before I finally decided what classes I would take, my printing and copying needs have been much lower than usual. However, I have now done both Beijing-style (or Beijing University-style), so there is some basis for comparison. On campus the copy situation is quite humorous. There are at least 10 (and probably more) hole-in-the-wall copy-shops. These places are absolutely TINY, but very versatile. This one I went to today, for example, not only does printing and copying but, according to this sign, also features color printing, internet printing, long distance telephone calls, faxing, telephone cards, cell-phone numbers, and name cards.

Once inside, the printing is totally self-serve, though if you don't know where to insert your thumb-drive they'll do that for you. The copying, on the other hand, is done for you by the pros. This young fellow did mine. You can't see it in the picture I sneakily snapped of him, but he has a special thick plastic ring on his right index finger allowing him to turn pages quickly. He'd turn the page, press the start button, and then position the thing--perfect timing, not wrong once, and very fast. Cost of photocopying about 25 pages--1.6 RMB, or about 20 cents. I paid about the same at the copy shop across the way for printing 10 pages, so if I printed Colin's "Minds and Metals" paper over here, it would have cost me only 40 cents.

I should add that the copy shop where I did the printing also had a binding service. But no bulky velo or spiral bindings for them. They actually used glue and what-not, and could print a special cover for you, and would trim the edges with a nifty trimmer, which is what is shown in this picture. (I used tradecraft to take it, hiding behind a tree.) Oh yeah, the "bindery" is that tiny desk outside the tiniest little hole-in-the-wall shop. But they have all the stuff they need, and the product is pretty even if the process isn't.

The only downside? Everything you print copy or bind comes out on A4 paper. Sure it's more text per page, but it's a different size from everything I have at home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home